Monday, January 11, 2010

Lightning Birth

Vickan woke me at 6.30. "David!!" she said, and rushed out of the bedroom. At first I thought that I must have been snoring and she was annoyed, but then she came back and told me that her waters had broken.

I got myself ready pretty quickly, in a bit of a panic, but not as much of a panic as last time. I thought we would have at least 2 hours before the actual birth so I had a shower and made myself some rice krispies. I then went out to brush the snow off the car while they got nice and soggy, but a couple of minutes later vickan came out with a piece of unbuttered toast for me and said it was time to go.

I managed to stay cool at the wheel on the way to Södertälje, although we had never driven this route before. I had a nervous moment near the end of the journey when the signs for the hospital just stopped but luckily we got there without a hitch. Vickan got taken up to the maternity unit and I went to park the car, paying for parking until 11.30 the next day.

When I found Vickan again in the maternity unit I realised that things had got worse for her really quickly and she was in serious pain. She had to be wheeled to the birthing room and I followed on behind.

I hardly had time to think before it was all happening. It was just like last time, but as though the film had been sped up. I felt a bit guilty because I couldn't help feeling relieved that it would all be over quickly.

Just 20 minutes after paying for the parking at a machine outside, our baby was born. It was at least 2 minutes before the midwife decided to pick the baby up from Vickan's tummy to see what kind it was. For some reason I was not surprised at all to see she was a girl. I was glad because I'd got it into my head that it might be easier for Elias to have a baby sister than a baby brother. But as it turns out, he doesn't seem to understand the difference - he always refers to the baby as "he".

No comments: